Lead poisoning can affect almost any system of a child’s body. It may cause decreased intelligence, behavioral disorders or other permanent injuries. Young children and babies are most at risk for lead poisoning because they are more likely to put their hands in their mouth and to eat paint chips in the home.
If you live in an older building your child may be at risk from lead poisoning even though lead paint has been banned from home use for many years.
The only way to know with certainty if your child has been exposed to lead is to have their blood tested. Medicaid covers testing for most young children. You should see your child’s pediatrician or contact the local health department if you believe your child has been exposed to lead paint.
If your child’s lead levels are high after the blood test, or if you have any questions, you should contact an attorney. Please call our toll free number at 1-(888) 878-3342 today.